Sunday, March 27, 2011

Wilmar 2pc Camo Multitool Set Review


It'll do.
By Mark from Peoria, IL on 3/27/2011
3out of 5
Multitool has a good selection of basic tools.

Camo colored plastic keeps both multitool and knife lightweight so they don't drag down your pants, also gives them kind of a cheap feel. Would be apprehensive to use them on anything that requires alot of force.

The "wire cutter" area at the base of the pliers doesn't cut fishing line. This is a big bummer for me, kind of a pain to have to find the knife in the multitool and cut the line.

The knife has the same cheap plastic feel and is a little long for my liking (awkward in the pocket, always seems to poke out or push against your leg.) but its sharp and it cuts.

Overall a good basic multitool that will handle the day to day workings of a amateur handyman on a budget. If you feel you will need to do heavy duty work or your job depends on your multitool, you want to look elsewhere.

^That's what was posted on the CSN website^  I wanted to add a couple details for y'all. (Don't you feel special?)
If you remember a couple months back, I was approached by CSN stores to pick out an inexpensive item and review it.  I (obviously) chose the Wilmar 2pc Camo Multitool Set, including a basic multitool and knife.  
After reviewing my several blurry pictures of the multitool and knife I decided to go with of them and just use the one from CSN stores. 
 
I've been holding off on doing this review until I could get a few fishing trips in and put it to use.  Well a couple fishing trips in and I hadn't caught any fish so the review got postponed.  
I finally got to use it at the Hooked on Fishing fundraiser and the pliers work great for de-hooking fish but (as mentioned above) the wire cutters don't cut 6lb leader.  What the hell?  I was not pleased.  It might seem trivial but fishing was the main thing I had in mind when I picked this out.
I work in a call center and am not into the whole handyman project thing so the bottle opener got the most work out of the available tools (opens Sam Adams wonderfully.).  I think I used the screwdriver twice and the knife in the multitool a couple times. 
As far as the separate knife goes, its nice but feels like a bonus that was kind of thrown in as an afterthought.  The blade is 3", which is the largest you can carry without it being concealing a weapon in IL.  The handle is a little bit larger than the blade and makes it sit awkwardly in my front pocket, either printing and making it obvious that there's a knife in my pocket or poking me in the thigh uncomfortably.
As I said above, if you're one to need a scewdriver or saw a couple times a day, you may want to look to a Leatherman or other top shelf multitool but if you need just need one for once in awhile or are short on cash, the Wilmar will probably meet your needs.
As for CSN, doing business with them was awesome.  Although they provided the item, I basically was given an electronic gift card to pick out the item and went through the order like a regular customer.  They sent regular emails to let me know when my order was processed and shipped.  The only thing I can't honestly comment on is the shipping since they moved up my order to ship right away.  However, if they're willing to do that for an inexpensive item being reviewed on a little blog like this, I'm sure they take good care of all of their customers.  Thanks to them for the multitool and the opportunity to review it for them.  I hope to do business again with them in the future.
Disclaimer:  CSN Stores sent me the multitool set free of charge to review.  I received no other compensation and have no other business relationship with CSN Stores or Wilmar whatsoever.  All opinions expressed are my own.  Feel free to contact me here in the comments at my personal email themarkvivian@gmail.com with any questions about the item reviewed or if you would like me to give an honest review of your product.

No comments: